Monday, November 07, 2011

 

A confession

I am a writer, I don't just write here, I write in other places on the internet, to name just a few, evolutionary psychology, slashdot, reddit and English Chess forum.

From now on, anything I write on the internet, I will copy to here.

Anyway here is a couple of emails I wrote to EP.

[evol-psych] A fifth force
 From: Peter
 To: "Evolutionary-Psychology"

It came up on this list the other week the idea of a fifth force.

This has got me thinking, the standard model has four fundamental forces, weak nuclear, strong nuclear, electromagnetic and gravity, granted they have not found evidence yet, for gravity within the atom, I'm given to understand that the search for the Higgs boson is to find that evidence.

So ok they find evidence for the Higgs, but remain ignorant because there is
in fact a fifth force affecting the nature of reality.

This idea hit me back in 1992, whilst delivering a load of biscuits to
Gloucester in my days as a truck driver.

Around that time I had been knocked over by Gleick's book 'Chaos'.

They were reading the bible on the radio, and they read this bit.

      Mathew 13.31
The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and
sowed in his field. Which is less than all seeds; but when it is grown, it is
greater than the herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the heaven come and lodge in the branches thereof
_______________________________________________________________________________


Suddenly the penny dropped, I felt as though I had found the key to our
history. (Blinded by tears I found it hard to see where I was driving.)
I realised the flap of the butterfly's wing and the parable of the mustard
seed

Are both metaphors describing the same dynamic process.

When I learned of Fiegenbaum's constant and how ubiquitous it is in nature and mere dead piles of rock, I glimpsed a whole universe that existed only to the right of the decimal point. For me ever since I started to study biology, the biggest mystery was morphogenesis, I'm given to understand that you could fit all the information necessary with which to create a blue whale on a DVD, how does this miracle of compression occur?

I suspect a clue is in ratios like PI, they say you can discern no pattern in
PI, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Fiegenbaum's constant is the key, the bit that matters is the fractional point
after the 4, the .669 is the magical bit. What if it is possible that because
this constant is inherent in the geometry of our venous architecture, it is also a causal factor in the amazing history of our species.
The fifth force is the fractional part of Fiegenbaum.
For many years, I perceived history to be chaotic, that was 'till I came
across the mathematics of life via the Mandelbrot set.
It is my hypothesis that there is a deep mathematics to evolution based on
irrational fractions, the scary bit is with the realisation that mathematics
has had a hand on the tiller of history.
Regards,
Peter.
http://dollyknot.com/nonlinear/HELLO.html

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?