Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

About me


The thing is about a blog is, what do you write about? Well, I have decided to write what I know the most about - namely me! To put it in a nut shell, I am going to do a sort of autobiography, being that I was born in 1949 up to this time I have 57 years to write about. Unlike most biographies I am not going to start at the beginning I start my account in 1966 with a photograph.

The first job I had when I left school at 15 in the summer of 1964 was at at a firm called Lancashire Dynamo situated in Oxted Surrey.

Around christmas time in 1964, a welder who worked at Lancashire Dynamo told me he had been in the merchant navy, he told me about the life of a merchant seaman, my interest was piqued. In April 1965 I joined the merchant navy, and trained in the art of seamanship at a place called Sharpness in Gloustershire. The official title of the training establishment was TS Vindicatrix (if you want to google it).

The first ship I sailed on was the MV Port Sydney and I sailed to Australia and back. My second voyage was on the Loch Gowan, the photograph at the head of this piece of writing is of the ships bell, before I polished it, it had not been polished for years, it took me hours to put that shine on it.

Comments:
I also sailed on the mv port sydney.
My first trip was on her maiden voyage 1955. Great memories of a lovely ship.
 
Great that you sailed on the
Sydney, tell me more about yourself. Or email me
peter at dollyknot.com replace the at with '@'

Peter
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?